Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Delhi, Agra....

The guide arrives at 7:30am..we are on vacation aren't we?..I want to sleep in!!
Our stops: Red Fort, Lotus Temple, Chandini Chowk, India Gate, Jantar Mantar & Qutub Minar.
Delhi is not only the historic city but also quite rich in its architectural interests dating back to the Mughal Empire.

Red Fort Massive, Red and a Fort!
Closed due to the preparations for Republic Day..booohoo :0

Chandni Chowk Crowded & Chaotic
We passed it for later

India Gate Reminds me of New York! Barricaded with bleachers set up for the parade and all….are we going to get ot see something at all?

Raj Ghat & the Parliament Closed …seriously is anything going to be accessible to visitors like us. Why didn’t anyone in Baroda tell us that we’d run into these problems. WHY?

Lotus Temple Beautiful, Pure and Sarene.
It was peaceful and cool inside. No idols in sight.

Ishkon Temple Got voted out. It was getting too late and Shuara was heat stricken. Something cool for her before she faints.

Qutub Minar At first glance all I can say is WOW! It was completed in the 13th century.
Can one grasp what it must have taken to build a minaret of this stature?
Manpower, materials and zero technological instruments that we have in today’s age. Yet, it looks flawless.
I did notice that a lot of the other structures around had either been neglected or have succumbed to the environment. At one point the girls were leaning on something that we later found out, were graves. I took a lot of pictures and the ones I am in are not as good. Not that I don’t make a good subject or maybe it was the photographer’s fault. Who know?

Jantar Mantar, we were a bit late. 125 rupee bribe plus regular tickets later we were let in. Its Red, big and neglected. The guide told us that it still can tell time even with all the modern buildings around. What an amazing feat?, A Giant Sun Dial in the middle of a busy hustle bustle of a metropolis. Some more pictures later I was too tired to walk and was too hot. Some how it was humid and muggy in the city.

We got back to the hotel, all tired and grungy looking from a days worth of tourist stops. Our white shirts and jeans had red stains from Jantar Mantar. I so needed to take a long bath. I insisted we go to eat later and as always I won. We bathe, took a quick nap and then headed out to eat. Moti Mahal was the destination and my favorite butter chicken again. I liked Jawarlal’s better and the naan was much better there too!

We are to just bum around tomorrow and see a little more of the city. Raj’s promised me some shopping. We’ve the air on and Raj’s in deep slumber already. I am watching Zee TV. It’s an old flick with Rajesh Khanna and Hema Malini, until slumber arrives..good night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment